Monday 16 March 2009

"By all means, let us have the dual loyalty debate "

Link

In Mondoweiss, here via WIC.
[Example] --New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is a major supporter of Jewish and other American institutions. His wife Myra told the Israeli press on a visit there that her sons could fight for Israel but not for the U.S. "As for joining the army, over Vietnam, I would have had an issue, because I didn't believe in it. The same goes for the war in Iraq. I don't know why we're there. I would hate to have one of my sons fighting there. Iran's the problem, not Iraq. But, as far as fighting for Israel is concerned, there is no problem."

As the Freeman case shows, the Iraq war chapter will not be closed until the special relationship with Israel is publicly debated, and till the dual-loyalty issue too is explored. Does my opinion carry influence? Don't worry, reader, it does not: I have said as much for years, and god knows the politicians and journalists and intellectuals have ignored me for years; and even realists Walt and Mearsheimer sidestepped this issue--leaving me, a lefty, to talk about "the American interest"! And still, the issue edges into our debate, for a simple reason: it is important."
Posted by G, Z, & or B at 4:58 AM

No comments: